According to Wikipedia:
One purpose of the site is to allow registered users to maintain a list of contact details of people with whom they have some level of relationship, called Connections. Users can invite anyone (whether a site user or not) to become a connection. This list of connections can then be used in a number of ways:
- A contact network is built up consisting of their direct connections, the connections of each of their connections (termed second-degree connections) and also the connections of second-degree connections (termed third-degree connections). This can be used to gain an introduction to someone a person wishes to know through a mutual contact.
- Users can upload their resume or design their own profile in order to showcase work and community experiences.
- It can then be used to find jobs, people and business opportunities recommended by someone in one's contact network.
- Employers can list jobs and search for potential candidates.
- Job seekers can review the profile of hiring managers and discover which of their existing contacts can introduce them.
- Users can post their own photos and view photos of others to aid in identification.
- Users can now follow different companies and can get notification about the new joining and offers available.
- Users can save (i.e. bookmark) jobs which they would like to apply for.
LinkedIn is considered by many to be an essential tool for professional networking. Companies can use the website to get the word out about their business and gain potential employees/clients. Authors can use the website to display their published works and, not only connect to potential readers/followers, but with agents and book publishers. There really is no limit to what you can accomplish with this website.
Please feel free to join my network on LinkedIn. You can access my profile page at: linkedin.com/in/caseyseanharmon
Casey Sean Harmon